The below recipe will give you approximately 6-7 8" diameter pancakes. You can easily double or triple this and store the dry ingredients for next time.
- 1.5 cups quick oats, processed through a blender until chunky but powdery
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour, or you can omit and just use 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup turbinado, pure cane or vegan beet sugar
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 cups vegan buttermilk (see recipe below)
- 3 egg equivalents (I use Ener-G egg replacer)
Mix dry ingredients on low setting of mixer until combined. Slowly add in canola oil and allow to mix for about 2 minutes on low. Then slowly add in buttermilk, and finally add in egg replacer just until blended.
Cook on griddle or equivalent on medium setting until bubbly. Turn and cook on other side until done. Top with some whipped earth balance and real maple syrup and enjoy!
Vegan Buttermilk: 1 Tbs. lemon juice for each cup of almond or soy milk. Whisk and allow to sit for at least 20 minutes. It'll start getting congealy and look a little separated. Fresh lemon juice seems to work better than anything else.
Variations: Oat chocolate chip pancakes, berry compote pancakes; really, the sky is the limit.
Shown: original oat pancakes served with Smart Sausage and orange slices.